Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Do the work

Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister?* Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister?* For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God.* For it is written,‘As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to* God.’ So then, each of us will be accountable to God.* --Romans 14: 10-12
How interesting that the above was part of the assigned readings yesterday, a day upon which the bishop of Sudan called for the bishop of New Hampshire to resign! And I guess I can understand: I mean, if my alternative was to talk about the genocide in Darfur I guess I'd rather yammer on about something else, too. So much easier to look at human sexuality than human suffering!
Cattiness aside, I continue to offer my prayers for +Gene Robinson, the Archbishop of Canterbury, our Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori, and all others as the Lambeth Conference moves along.
I was thinking yesterday about where +Gene stands, on the outside of this Conference, and again had this feeling that perhaps this really is the best place for him. I know it would be more personally beneficial for him to be in a place where he can study and learn with his brothers and sisters. But being where he is gives the bishop the chance to take the word of God to the streets...where it is needed most. It gives him the place to make connections with individuals who need to know that this enormous love of God's is real, that redemption is there, and that they can experience a personal resurrection to liberate them from their eternal deaths...whatever form that is taking in their lives.
+Gene can communicate such a message. I pray that God continues to open his lips, so his mouth proclaims God's praise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read + Gene's book I see why he must be in the marketplace this time and God has a place for him there. I am enjoying reading it very much.

Your thoughts are in the right place.

MCG

Anonymous said...

I think that +Gene is in the right place in the marketplace talking to the marginalized. I think you have hit on just the right thoughts on this.

MCG