Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost 2010

This was a long day.

Our Pentecost service lasted close to two hours in large part because we had 24 people being baptized, confirmed, reaffirmed and received into the Church. That's a lot!! So, let it be known that the reports of the death of the Episcopal Church... and St. John's Tallahassee... are greatly exaggerated.

I don't have a whole lot to say since I've already said quite a bit in previous entries about what I believe this time should be telling us, and instructing us to do. But just reflecting on today, there was something special about seeing all these people taking their own steps along a spiritual journey. At one point, I could feel myself becoming emotional as we recited the Baptismal Covenant, and acknowledging how I am joined in relationship with all these other people through a common belief in this wacky Trinity. And knowing that this God is moving, shifting, changing, reshaping, and reforming me continuously. I remain a work-in-progress. We'll see where it's going.

"Feed my sheep" and "Breathe on me, breath of God" seem to figure prominently.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

+Charles likes the translation.. "Tend my sheep" better. I agree. We need to do more than just provide the necessary food.. but human being needs caring for health, body, mind and spirit. Breath for resuscitation, fire for passion to do the 'tending'.

SCG said...

Agreed, and I heard him say that he prefers the translation as "tend". Too weird, however, that he chose to discuss that passage from John... as I'd just heard it on Friday with Lee Graham, and received very much the same instruction in the homily. Something for me to ponder.