Sunday, June 6, 2010

Successful Surgery

I spoke with my mom's doctor yesterday and he explained the surgery. It would be either a vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty, he wouldn't know which until he was underway. I haven't learned yet what he ended up doing, but the basic premise is that the surgeon makes two insertions and then cements shut the crack that is in the spine.

He left a message on my phone that all had gone well in the procedure. And a good thing he did it, too. My mom's "crack" was apparently even larger than what had been revealed on the x-ray or CAT scan!

When I talked to her yesterday afternoon, she was still a little groggy, but was sitting up in a chair. She said that she still felt sore, but thought that normal given that she had just had an operation. The next question is whether she will be released today and sent home, or if they will recommend a stay at a rehab facility. I'm voting for the latter, so she can get the attention and the PT that she needs.

I am grateful to all of you for your prayers and offers of support. I know it helps! My mom... the Anonymous Peggins of Hurricane Peg fame... I hope will be back to right soon. I have found it perfectly her that throughout this ordeal, and even in the haze of morphine, she has managed to track the ups and downs of her beloved Boston Red Sox. Nothing, and I mean nothing, stands between her and baseball!

3 comments:

Kay & Sarah said...

Glad to your mom is doing well.

SCG said...

Thank you! She's a determined and tough cookie. I'm hoping rehab will help her with a number of things.

pineyflatwoodsgirl said...

Here's to a speedy recovery for your mom, Susan...and for your sadness as well, whatever it may be about.