Thursday, July 8, 2010

More Lies From Abroad

I received a notice in my ebox from Integrity USA that the drama about the beheaded and mutilated body of an Integrity Uganda member... and the priest who went missing after making pro-gay statements in a speech... was all a lie. It is true that there has been a horrible death of a farm hand. But Bishop Christopher Senyonjo, the founder of Integrity Uganda, says there is no connection between this dead man and his group.

"I have never worked with anyone who goes by the name Pasikali in my organization. I also did not make any comments as quoted in earlier statements by Rev. Erich Kasirye. Rev. Erich Kasirye no longer has any legitimate connection to Integrity Uganda and the email address integrityuganda@yahoo.com is no longer available as a link to the leadership of Integrity Uganda."

Bishop Senyonjo was recently in the United States and Europe, touring and speaking about the real dangers that do exist in Uganda as a result of the export of homophobia via Exodus International and other "christian" evangelicals and their end product, the the anti-homosexuality Bahati legislation.

Box Turtle Bulletin, a pro-gay blogging site, unravels the mystery behind the beheading story HERE. Apparently, the source of this faux news is this Rev. Erich Kasirye, an opportunist who has defrauded concerned Westerners and now has ties to the virulent homophobe Bishop Henri Orombi.

How did I get duped? Well, I read the initial story on Changing Attitude like everybody else... and after a day, I saw where it was referenced on a couple of other sites including Box Turtle Bulletin. That made me think this story was legitimate... and since I'm responding and not reporting on this blog, and since I am interested and concerned about what is happening to the LGBT people of Africa... I offered my thoughts. I am angry that such a serious issue has been toyed with in this way. It only serves to undermine the real trouble that exists on the ground in places such as Uganda.

How can you actually help the work of Integrity Uganda in fighting homophobia and providing safe haven for those in fear for their lives? Make a contribution to Integrity USA's Hopkins Fund. Here's the link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up, Susan 'cause you are doing the best you can. They are crazy over there.

Peggins