Sunday, July 18, 2010

St. Cecilia Choir of Girls Goes Off to England


I am one very proud and excited auntee! My niece, Charlotte, is part of a girl's choir at her Greenwich, CT., church. This past winter, she sent me a calendar that the choir was selling which features photos of their church and some of the activities that they have there. Proceeds would go toward sending the girls on a singing tour in England. Well, obviously, it all paid off, because she and her mates are over there now... having arrived at Heathrow airport in the middle of our night, and they are on their way to Exeter, England! The St. Cecilia Choir of Girls will be singing Choral Evensong at the Exeter Cathedral (pictured above) as well as at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. Pretty nifty, eh? I'm really delighted for her. Charlotte was born in London and I know misses her native home land. My partner and I still delight in remembering when we first met her as a wee 22-month old who wanted to watch "101 Dalmations" over and over. She was enthralled with horses, which she called "Bubbies" (actually, if memory serves, all four-legged furry critters were Bubbies). She's going to spend some time with friends taking care of their "Bubbies" during this trip. I am hoping for her this will recall great memories and create new ones she can carry with her.

Meanwhile, my brother and my nephew had an experience of a lifetime last month when they sang at the installation service for their new rector. Not only did they have their own bishop of CT at the service; Archbishop Desmond Tutu was the homilist! What a fantastic opportunity to pass the peace with one of the really great leaders in Anglicanism.

Gee, I may have to stick to wearing T-shirts. Too many more stories like this will burst all the buttons off my oxfords! :)

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

Oh to be in New England when Tutu is there. Guess I will have to hang until January when +Katherine is here!

SCG said...

Phoebe, I'm putting away my quarters and dimes, so I will be able to be PB Katherine's presence in Jacksonville in January!