Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Meaner Than The Other Guy



"...I really do not think that we should have homosexuals guiding our children. I think that it’s a lifestyle that I don’t agree with. I realize a lot of people do. It’s my personal faith, religious faith, that I don’t believe that the people who do this should be raising our children. It’s not a natural thing."

That's what Republican Attorney General and candidate for Governor Bill McCollum told the Florida Baptist Witness newspaper, which is the main publication of the the Florida Southern Baptist Convention. It was in answer to questions about gay adoption (which he opposes) and, in this instance, whether he thinks the state should ban LGBT persons from being foster parents. You can see how he answered that question. Estimates are that there are more than 30,000 children in the state's foster care system. God forbid any of them find a home with a gay or lesbian couple!

McCollum's statements come as early voting commences in the state in advance of the August 24th primary. McCollum, who was supposed to be knighted the GOP nominee, has found himself in a dog-fight with Rick Scott, a Medicare fraud crook, who touts that he wants to bring Arizona's anti-immigration fervor to Florida... a state where people from elsewhere far out number those who are true natives. I guess after wasting $87,000 on George "Rentboy.com" Rekers as an expert in the gay adoption case, McCollum feels the need to prove that he's truly homophobic and will be much more draconian on those queers than his opponent who is appealing to the basest instincts of the Republican party's base.

I feel a collect coming on...

O God, the one who knows the true hearts of all people and knows the longing and loneliness of children left unloved by parents, grant that as we make decisions on our future leadership we may discern in the words of candidates who will best carry us closer to realizing a world of kindness and compassion, so that we may better honor your message of Love. We ask this in your Name. Amen.

5 comments:

Kay & Sarah said...

Didn't I just see a commercial exclaiming that Florida was at the top of the list for the most adoptions?

Kay & Sarah said...

I disagree with Bill McCollum's lifestyle. Prejudice and bigotry are not good for children.

This kind of thinking is the reason I am no longer a member of a Baptist church. I left a really long time ago when the fundies began to take over. I see posts on Facebook from former classmates that really make me cringe. How did people come to this kind of thinking?

SCG said...

Hello Both Auntees! :)

I didn't see that about our adoption rate. I like that you disagree with McCollum's lifestyle. I personally think that men who resemble Howdy Doody really ought to get out of public office. I'm embarrassed that McCollum claims to be an Episcopalian. But, then again, we do welcome everyone.

Anonymous said...

I don't think he has a prayer of winning. What an idiot.

Peggins

dtedac said...

The Republican nominees for governor are both (excuse me) pinheads: one a fraudulent pinhead and the other is a sellout pinhead. I'm afraid that one of these will be our next governor, and it's scary. God help us.
David