Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jefferts Schori: She's Worth the Trip



The cathedral in Jacksonville was packed. The incense was thick. And the Presiding Bishop was awesome!!
In fact, I joked with our Mother Phoebe that I think Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori must read my blog. Because how she spoke sounded like what I've said HERE.
And HERE. And HERE, too.
Trying to get into this service at St. John's cathedral was no small undertaking. First, I had to wait for the opportunity to get a ticket. It was like waiting for spring training or play-off passes. When the time came, I pounced, and got on "the list".
"The list", however, wasn't at the convention registration desk at the hotel. It was at the cathedral. And since I'd arrived three hours early thinking I needed to get my ticket at the hotel, I had plenty of time to finish my reading for EfM!

The theme of the 168th Diocesan Convention is "One Body". The readings, therefore, reflected that idea, with 1 Corinthians 12 which is Paul's likening of the Church to the body, with its many members all interdependent on one another. The Presiding Bishop ran with that theme in her sermon. She talked about the many members of the Episcopal Church body (the United States, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Germany, etc...) She also noted that we are part of the body called the Anglican Communion (insert heavy sigh from me here). And this is where our PB showed herself to be the self-assured spiritual leader that she is.

She talked of what happens when we recognize those parts of our bodies that we consider "familiar" and begin to wage war on those parts that we think are "foreign". She pointed out that our bodies have bacteria and fungi that are good, that protect our skin and help us with digestion. But we will do things to disrupt and injure our bodies, introducing antibiotics which may kill the intended bad bacteria, but will also wipe out the good bacteria in our bodies.
"Are we T-cells looking for the foreign invaders?" she asked.
A good question, one which requires all of us to stop and think as we evaluate our dealings with one another. And a question that may be on her mind as she heads to Ireland next week for a meeting of Primates. No doubt, the Anglican Covenant will be high on the agenda. The thing hasn't been adopted yet by most of the Communion, and yet there are already moves to put representatives of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada in a perpetual time-out. One has to wonder if it's possible for those who are so wedded to the Covenant to ask that same T-cell question of themselves. And I won't even bring up the malcontents who stamp their feet in protest every time they think of this woman in a mitre.
She concluded her sermon by noting that allergies are an auto-immune response to a foreign substance in the body. And she implored us to "stop sneezing!"
Ah, yes: for those wishing the Joan Rivers red carpet report: ++Jefferts Schori donned a stylish and classically conservative chausible and mitre: white with a silver knot-work pattern. None of the bright colors she's worn elsewhere (I tried to get a picture of her, but it came out fuzzy). I believe this was a concession to the tastes of our diocese... or rather our bishop. There were some chuckles from a few in the congregation when she thanked him from the pulpit for inviting her. I imagine those were from others like myself who have heard the "I didn't vote for her" line. Still, Bishop Howard was gracious in his welcome of the PB, noting that what she had said in her sermon was a reflection of the feelings in the diocese of Florida. The applause for her was extended,
both at the announcement time and even her sermon (heck, half the clergy gave her a standing ovation!) All things which I think speak to the spirit that is moving in this diocese.

At the end of the service, a man who I think was in his forties spotted the rainbow wristband I was wearing. He tapped me on the shoulder, gave me a thumbs up and pointed to his wrist.

Perhaps we are on the cusp of seeing winter come to an end in the diocese of Florida, and we can begin to take off the heavy coats and woolen mittens this body has worn as protection, and opt for a windbreaker instead. I hope. I hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece and I am so glad that you were there. She is a marvel. God Bless You and I hope the rest of the Diocesan meeting goes well. Mtr. Phoebe can tell you.

Peggins

Ann said...

She is the best advetising for TEC that we have

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were there. Thank you for filling us in. There is hope that in the time she has left our PB can sow further seeds that can hopefully bear first fruits that will nourish the community in such a way that healing and true faith may prevail. Thank you for making the effort and thank God you were able to succeed in being seated to hear her. Peace MarCar(wiffle)

SCG said...

Anonymous Peggins: I look forward to Mtr. Phoebe's report.

Ann: Absolutely!!

Anonymous MarCar: so good to have you stopping in and commenting. And I thanked God for getting me in the door as well!