Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ashes to Ashes, Part I

We are at the beginning of the day in which we, those Christians who observe a Holy Lent, are beckoned to come home to our selves and see what kind of a house we've built. Is it a place with windows that are clear and allow light to shine in and out? Are our closets stuffed with more than skeletons? Are there clothes that no longer fit? Shoes that hurt our feet? Is our cupboard bare? How each of us evaluates and answers these questions are entirely one-on-one with the One whom we meet on this day for the home inspection.

The Good News is that whatever isn't right in our house can be fixed, picked up, straightened out. And we've got the next 40 days to get the repairs done. But we have to be willing to see what isn't right, and then we have to do what it takes to get our place pulled together.

That, to me, is what it means to keep a Holy Lent. But first, we have to endure the day known as Ash Wednesday. I say, "endure" because I sometimes feel this day is treated like a day of woe, misery, and self-flaggellation. I will address that in my Part II of that post for this evening. In the meantime, I leave it to all of you to close your eyes, and go inside this house that you're in. And don't be afraid or ashamed to see the cobwebs and the clutter. Notice it, evaluate it, and then make the plan to clean it up.




No comments: