Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pancakes and Prayers

 
 
It's Mardi Gras time!!  And today was my last day to indulge in lots of fatty foods before tomorrow's start of the Lenten season.  Just as with Christmas, I don't know if I'm exactly ready for Lent.  It is hitting awfully early this year.  I mean, pre-birthday Ash Wednesday?  That just seems wrong.
 
Or maybe it's just right.  At this point in my spiritual journey, I feel that I'm entering into some choppy waters.  It started this past weekend in Georgia, and now we're entering that season of reckoning which every year seems to yield difficult, but never fatal, lessons from which I am to pay attention and incorporate into my day-to-day existence.  Perhaps giving me a birthday at the start of this gives me at least a ray of joy as I set sail into the sea.
 
"Weeping may spend the night, but joy comes in the morning."  These words of the psalmist are definitely ones that reflect my past several nights into morning.  But just as true are the words later in the psalm, "You have turned my wailing into dancing; you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.  Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever."
 
I will be interested to see what tomorrow brings.  And I will be content in my present.

No comments: