Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pope Benedict's Last Day

I really don't have a lot to say about this. Yes, it is unprecedented to have a pope resign, first time in 600 years. And the Roman Catholic Church is a tattered mess right now... similar to how it was in the 15th and 16th centuries of the multiple popes, indulgences scams and popes who couldn't care less about providing pastoral authority when political power was much more intoxicating. So, I guess it just makes sense for Pope Benedict XVI to retire to a life of prayer.

He has much to pray about. Just look at the headlines on any given day and you'll inevitably read about yet-another sexual abuse scandal in some part of the Roman Catholic Church that was covered up and is now being brought to light.

I have said that I believe that the Roman Catholic Church must die. What I mean by that is that it can not continue with its current structure because that structure is rotten to the core. Dying to these old ways, these ways that hate women and hate the body, will be part of the necessary death that will allow the RC Church to experience its own resurrection.

Alas, I don't know if the Church is ready for this kind of reform, the kind that is not happening from the outside with rebels nailing their theses on the door. Pity for them.

2 comments:

June Butler said...

SCG, I don't think we're likely to see great change under the next pope. Oh for the day when the women can vote for the pope.

SCG said...

I totally agree, Grandmere Mimi. Too bad for them.