Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Now is the Day of Salvation

At the risk of my readership thinking that I have totally flipped my lid (and I'm pretty sure I have not), I am considering some more scriptural passages as the New Year comes upon us.

At the top is the realization that 2009 means the reign of George W. Bush is coming to an end (Hallelujah!!!) But before we get too excited about the incoming administration, take a moment to consider the following line from Psalm 146:

Put not your trust in rulers, nor any child of the earth, for there is no help in them.

This makes a lot of sense to me, especially as a lesbian who has witnessed time and time again politicians make empty promises to the gay community (or other groups) and then selling them out. It seems to happen quite a bit to my gay brothers and sisters, and to be blunt, I'm sick of it. If you don't intend to fight for us, then please stop promising things you won't deliver. I have been asked too many times now about my opinion of the Rick Warren selection for Obama's inauguration, and I have been criticized harshly for having said I think it is a stupid and cynical choice. But what I have also said to people is that Barack Obama is a human being, and (as the above sentence from Ps. 146 indicates) I can't put my trust in Obama because he is more likely to disappoint me.

Not so with God. In these past 13 months, I have found that even in the darkest moments when I feel the world is crushing me, God is still reaching out to me, and keeping me from sinking.

My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
--Isaiah 26: 9

This passage from the prophet Isaiah was part of today's Daily Office. Like the Psalm, this statement makes so much sense to me, particularly if you think of "the night" being those dark times. And the second half of the verse also makes sense. The more that individuals pay attention to God, and God's never-ending quest to be in loving relationship with all of creation...the more likely we are to arrive at having a "new heaven and a new earth" because all that has kept us apart from this amazing love that is God will fade away.

And the best part about all of this is...it's free for everybody!! Rick Warren might care if you're queer. James Dobson might care if you're queer. But God embraces you and your queerness because to God, you are a beautiful "very good" part of the creation.

I called this entry "Now is the Day of Salvation" and I meant it. Not that you need saving. That's already happened....a long time ago on a hill far away with an old rugged cross and all that.
But if you begin to trust that God is really with you until the end of the age, you will also start to see salvation....and know that you are an important person and very much a part of God's plan. Welcome to the party!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And a Happy New Year to you, my dear. Good readings and I think you are right on. Believe it or not, I think that your community has been lied to and overlooked too long.

Peggins