Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Charlotte's Wisdom

You might think this is the name of a new children's book... but I realized that I haven't said much lately about the progress of my friend, Rev. Charlotte Dudley Cleghorn. She got great news that she would NOT need chemotherapy. In addition, she made the decision to delay the start of her radiation treatments for about a month. Had she stayed with the original plan, she'd begin this week... the same week in which she has said "Good-bye" to her formal career as a priest, specifically as the Director for the Centers of Christian Studies at All Souls Cathedral in Asheville. In her own words...

Today was my first day of "retirement" whatever that means! I walked to the library and back, about 2 miles (part of the exerise plan) and found myself wondering about the word "retirement."​ I have yet to look it up because it has been fun playing with the word. Retire makes me think of being tired again or taking the tire that already exists and retiring it so it lasts longer. It just seems like an odd word to use these days because everyone I know is busier than they were when they worked. I am going to try to avoid that trap, at least for a while. I am still working, but in the ways and in the time I choose.
The thing I do know is that I am relieved and grateful that I decided to wait a month before starting radiation. I can't imagine going from leaving my job and ending my work relationshi​p with the Episcopal Church to my first radiation appointment.​ To have no time to process how huge this transition is would be to minimize its importance.​ I have been working in the Church since 1986 and almost 10 years before that in other full-time ministry so this is a huge change for me.
I think the best way to honor all that is to give myself time. My "work" for the next month is to let what is, be. And then, when it is time for radiation, I will truly be ready.

She is also modifying her diet, eliminating as much sugar as possible, as sugar seems to feed cancer. This has meant having to give up her favorite food group: ice cream.

I am aware of how different I feel without the sugar. I'm doing great with the fruit but have a ways to go with the veggies. A friend told me about a site called Care4Cancer which has lots of recipes if you are interested.​ Cooking has not been my forte up to this point but I am open to learning how to eat even better.
The worst part thus far is this green drink I am supposed to drink all day long that is really going to take some getting used to. I have to confess that I didn't drink it all today-plus, it gives my teeth a bit of a green tint! I guess like many things, I'll get used to it (or not!)
The good news is, I feel very well. A retired priest at All Souls said to me after the 7:45 AM service that when he looked at me presiding, he imagined me about 21. I told him that is about how I feel. My body definitely feels older but I am healing well, sleeping well, eating better, getting into a more regular walking rhythm, and enjoying life as it is, or at least trying to. Being present to the now is not easy for me to do. It is another practice. But, I am glad to have the opportunity to do just that.
Thanks for accompanyin​g me on the journey. CDC

I thank God for her, and for her willingness and ability to share with us this incredible journey she's on. She is gifted as a teacher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for CDC and what a positive statement. Thanks for sharing and Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Peggins