Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Collect for Coming Out

At some point I hope in the not-too-distant future, I will get around to finishing my thoughts on the power of the Collects of the Day...some of which ping me right between the eyes and make me choke up. But on this, the annual National Coming Out Day, I offer just a short prayer of my own to those of you reading who have taken that first brave step toward acceptance of yourself.

Almighty God, whose love for us knows no boundaries and envelopes us fully into your grace and mercy, guide us into that place of loving ourselves as you love us-- as we are and not where we've believed we ought to be. And grant us the strength and courage that allows us to be at peace with ourselves, and in turn, bring such peace into the world; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit be all honor and glory, now and forever. Amen.

Of course, any of you reading who are not Christian, or do not believe in the Trinitarian God, well, you are welcome to opt out of that last bit. :-)

Happy Coming Out Day! May this be the start of a new and beautiful relationship...with yourself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed so, to all my GLBT friends, and tomorrow I shall attend a Commitment Ceremony being celebrated in my Episcopal Church by an accepting congregation for two wonderful friends.

Thanks be to God.

MCG