Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thought for the Night

"For behold, you look for truth deep within me, and will make me understand wisdom secretly."--Psalm 51: 7

For reasons I can't explain, I was drawn to look at Psalm 51 during the service on Sunday. I'm fairly familiar with this Psalm because of verse 11: "Create in me a clean heart, O Lord, and renew a right spirit within me." That's a line that is well-embedded in my brain. In fact, much of Psalm 51 makes up the liturgy for Morning Prayer.

But this idea that God looks for the truth deep within me, and will make me understand widsom secretly? That tastes like the proverbial manna for my soul. And it went hand-in-hand with the message from the Collect:

Grant to us, Lord, we pray, the spirit to think and do always those things that
are right, that we, who cannot exist without you, may by you be enabled
to live according to your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and
reigns with you and the Holy Spirit one God, for ever and ever.
The essence of who I am is a gift of God, freely given. The more I can trust and believe in this the more I will be enabled to live according to the will of God, imparted secretly as wisdom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, my dear.

Peggins