Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New Hampshire Now Allowing Free Living!

Hooray! My native home has become the SIXTH state in the nation to approve a same-sex marriage bill. Governor John Lynch signed the newly-passed, much-amended, much-debated, marriage legislation at 5:20 this afternoon. This leaves the very Roman Catholic Rhode Island as the only New England state that does not offer lesbian and gay couples the opportunity to get married. But even that will likely change over time.

Opponents of gay marriage are already promising to target the lawmakers who supported the legislation. This means vigilance by those who want to continue a policy of equality to get behind the Governor and others who have made marriage for the LGBT community possible. The anti-gay forces CAN be defeated because NH voters are independent, and they aren't as likely to march lock-step with the neo-cons, especially if gay people and their allies make the simple point that "It's over! Move on!"

I think I'll put on my NH/American lapel pin. Or maybe I'll start growing lilacs and planting white birch in the front yard. I'm rejoicing! I'm pleased! And I am a New Hampshirite, a lesbian, and I'm proud! Yay, New Hampshire! You're wicked awesome!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can get WMUR on your computer you can see the signing, and the happy young people in the gallery. Our wonderful Bishop made a statement as well.

Peggins