Saturday, June 5, 2010

Peggins Update

My mother underwent a CAT scan at Portsmouth Hospital where they discovered a crack in her back at L1 (the area of the spine right below the rib cage). She has to have surgery; otherwise she will remain in pain for the rest of her life because there are too many nerve endings at that spot.
The nurse I spoke with explained, in layman's terms, that this surgery is not as dramatic as fusing discs, but it is still a surgery. It will involve an insertion at the point of the crack where the surgeon will--to put it in these terms--glue the crack shut.
I am not thrilled by any of this, but there is nothing that I can do from here besides pray and look for flights home.

2 comments:

Anita said...

Susan,
So sorry to read of your dear mom's fall and the resulting back pain. My thoughts and prayers for the decisions to be made, the actions that will be taken, and for her full recovery. There are few things in life more upsetting than seeing our parents suffer in some way and know we can do little to relieve their pain.....I think it's some kind of universal pay back for what they went through when we were all a bundle of childhood illnesses and heartbreaks. The love of God, peace of Christ, and comfort of the Holy Spirit to you and Peggins!

SCG said...

Anita: Thanks! It has been very hard to be here, and not there. But I am resourceful enough to know how to get somebody to give me information. I think that's why God gave us brains! And I agree: this must be universal payback!