Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Living with Discomfort

"When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for these things must take place first, but the end will not follow immediately." Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and plagues; and there will be dreadful portents and great signs from heaven.
"But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name. This will give you an opportunity to testify. So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance; for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. You will be hated by all because of my name. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your souls."--Luke 21: 9-19

It is a little hard when your service begins with the collect to hear, read, mark, learn and inwardly digest the Holy Scriptures that our blessed Father caused to have written for our learning... and then you get this gospel served up for your learning! And let's not forget the idleness in the Thessalonians reading, or the promise that Malachi gives us that the "evil doers and arrogant" are going to be burned up. (I dunno, the Florida legislature is meeting ... and there was no four-alarm fire at the Capitol.)
I have been finding myself returning to the Luke passage these past few days. I had been thinking about the need to allow God to be the one who gives me words and a wisdom as I tackle things this week. Then--bam--there it was in the gospel message on Sunday. Yes, God moves in mysterious ways! And these days I am aware of the need to do my part to follow God's lead.
That definitely feels true of writing here on the blog. There are times when I think I should be posting something, but whatever thoughts I'm having feel incomplete or too esoteric to make sense. Instead of pressing forward with what I think I should do, I take stock of how I am. And then I wait until the time is right to express myself.
Nowhere is that more true than in my recent barrage of postings on the Anglican Covenant. Working as part of a team of bloggers who are independently posting, and sharing thoughts with one another, has been both a great thing and sometimes exhausting. I have enjoyed reading what others are posting and thinking on this topic, especially the ones at "Ground Zero" aka England. And keeping up with all the latest on what is happening with this build up to the General Synod can be tiring, especially when I feel like I'm reading the same arguments over and over.
As such, please tell me, my good readers, if you feel that I am pounding you with too much of the same theme on the Covenant or other topics. That will help me immensely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Write what you feel like writing and what moves you. I think that it is much more fun to think about a royal marriage coming up next year. Hurrah for Kate and William.

Peggins