Friday, May 20, 2011

In Case of Rapture...

If I had my own radio show and access to a bunch of stations, I could do amazing things to spread my philosophy and influence the masses.   Just like Harold Camping has managed to do with this hysteria around May 21st.   

That's right: Judgment Day is this Saturday.   Have you got your affairs in order?  Oh, that's right: you can't take your baggage with you on the trip to heaven.  Probably better if you don't.  I imagine if we try to pack the stuff of life in each of our carry-on suitcases it would result in some pretty hefty fees.

Seriously, I am amused and befuddled that one guy with a radio "network" of 66 stations has created this much hype about a date on the Gregorian calendar.  So much so that you have tons of Facebook groups announcing the post-Rapture looting party, the Non-Judgment Day and on and on.  Pagans and atheists are rejoicing at a world free of Christians, a dig that I am sorry to read because, once again, I feel painted with a broad brush that really needs to be applied with finer strokes.   The vast majority of us who profess belief in Christ do not believe there will be a huge earthquake tomorrow that will throw open the graves and all the souls of the "chosen" will get whisked away.  

Of course, I could be wrong.

And if I am, I'll take your Prius and your bank account!

I imagine that I will be among the left behind.  Certainly, Harold Camping and his whackadoodle crew believe I will be because, according to their website and materials, I am part of the reason for the Rapture.  Apparently, the "Gay Pride Movement" is causing God to hit the delete button on all creation.

Really?!  Oh, yes!  That and the re-establishment of Israel in 1948, the "moral breakdown of society" (not to mention the Christian church!) and the disregard for the Bible are all "signs" of Christ's return to judge the world.  I guess that means the folks with the National Day of Prayer failed in their mission on May 5th.   

Mr. Camping has figured all of this out by spending 50+ years studying the Bible.  Thus, it seems Mr. Camping and the Board of Directors of his "network" have made all these determinations about the hour of Christ's return, even though Christ clearly states:  ‘But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.'  (Matt 24:36)  That entire chapter of Matthew is Jesus speaking to the disciples as his own crucifixion is approaching.  This is the passage that talks about how two women will be grinding grain, one will be taken and the other left, etc.   The message of Matthew 24 isn't so much about worrying about when the end is coming; we all know the end IS coming... for each of us.   What are we doing with our time on earth when we are among our fellow human beings?  To carry this forward to the next chapter of Matthew, we get into the famous exhortation to the followers of Christ about clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, welcoming the stranger and visiting the prisoner.  "Whatever you do to the least of these who are members of my family, you do it to me."   Overarching lesson here: quit wondering about the end of the world, and do the living and the caring that you are commanded to do.  If you actually knew the date and hour of the world's end, you would pre-occupy yourself with your own affairs, and not pay attention to the person in need right in front of you.

Perhaps that's a bit too complex for Mr. Camping.  Much easier to just predict the end of time and get people all in a tizzy over it.  I believe that would be the work of a "false prophet".


   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See you tomorrow, Susan...

Peggins