Friday, February 12, 2010

Charlotte Rests After Another Surgery

For all who have been so wonderfully supportive of my friend Rev. Charlotte Cleghorn, this latest post came in this afternoon following the "clean up" surgery:
Greetings All,
I am propped up in bed looking at the snow beginning to fall and feeling a little groggy and very grateful that the sugery is over. Not surprisingl​y, I felt much better this morning as I arose at 5:00, an ungoldly hour for me but for some of you, your regular rising time. I took half of a valium which moved me to a more mellow place and off we went to Pardee for the procedure. I was interested as I looked at the other folks in the day surgery waiting room, in what each was having done this morning. It would have never occurred to me years ago that someone sittiing in day surgery would have breast cancer surgery or arthoscopic surgery or any of the surgeries that used to take days in the hospital. In 1972, I had knee surgery and was in the hospital of close to a week. In 2003 I had arthoscopic surgery on the other knee and was in and out in half a day. It is amazing what can be done these days in such a short period of time. Better to be home anyway than to be in the hospital!

Will read the affirmation​s again and Dr. Albers is such a perfectioni​st that after the incision was all closed, he noticed a little pucker. So, he asked Will to keep me under until he could fix it. It's a beautiful piece of artistry he did which I think must be a part of a surgeon's craft. I was reminded again this morning, as Betsy and I sat in my little room before the procedure, of how amazing it is that someone can be a surgeon!
So, we will hunker in as the snow falls-make a fire later, have soup brought by a friend and the medicinal Ben and Jerry's that just showed up from another friend and let the healing continue. I will see Dr. Albers next Thursday and the medical oncologist on March 5th. Then, I hope we will begin the radiation and keep moving towards full recovery.

She again expresses tremendous gratitude for the prayers and the love coming her way, especially having Betsy there with her through all of this. A nice reminder as we head into Valentine's Day weekend that having love in your life is probably the sweetest gift of them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Love in your life is the best. I miss the love of my life, but he never was very good about giving out Valentines so you Susan were my best Valentine, honey.

Peggins