Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lifting the Veil

OK... first things first: Happy Birthday to me! More on my birthday later when I can upload pictures. I had an awesome birthday party last night, and even with visions of dancing tigers in my head, my mind has landed back on the readings for this Sunday. And I'm jazzed that the readings are clearly connected together with the theme of putting on a veil, pulling back said veil... and the incredible transformation witnessed by only a few where Jesus is transfigured... a massive unveiling, and a brightness that would shine through any drape.
What immediately came to my mind when going through the readings was the thought of how we mask ourselves all the time. Depending on where we are, who we are with, I think many of us don't always show who we truly are because of fear. I know that's why I put on a veil.
But I do find it harder and harder to hide those things which are core to who I am. This includes being a lesbian, and being a lesbian who believes in Christ as God. As God continues to mold and shape me, I feel that part of what comes through is the brightness. Because God drives the darkness out.
And so I reflect back on a poem that I wrote in January 2008.

KNOWING
To be known is to allow all that is within you
to also live outside of you.
To remove the uniform, unveil the eyes.
To allow light into the shadows of your heart,
and air to flow freely through your body.
To be known is exposure of the soul
to a trust of universal love and unconditioned good.
To be seen in all beauty and imperfection and still deemed worthy.
To be known is redemption.
Step out into the light, and laugh out loud!

Happy Valentine's Day! I'll give y'all a full birthday report later today!!

4 comments:

Phoebe said...

Happy Valentine Day to you too..
Thanks for facing the 'fear', and being the unveiled lesbian who knows God's love, and shares that knowledge with so many who have only had rejection.

Anonymous said...

Well said again, my dear Susan. I know that you are a wonderful person, and you also have made my life a joy.
I love your poem and am thrilled your party went well.

Peggins

fr dougal said...

Again happy natal festival: a thought though. Moses wore the veil to protect the people of Israel. Veils can be useful and helpful. The problem start when we forget to remove it and lose what is underneath.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Since I love birthdays and still am celebrating my 51-and-how-the-heck-did-I-get-here birthday, please allow me to send you (and
all who read this) a birthday gift; the gift is the link to a free cover-to-cover read of my book.

It's the story of my amazing Spirit-led journey that began on the birthday that all of my friends forgot! (One of my best birthdays yet!)

Just sign up here: no experts needed dot com. No strings/spam attached, really! (I know, hard to believe these days :-)

It's simply my way of giving back.

Continue the celebration,
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
No Experts Needed dot com