Friday, January 21, 2011

I'm Off to See the Bishop!


Hold the presses: the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, is going to be in Jacksonville, Florida!!

For those not familiar with our diocese: Florida is just a teensy-weensy conservative. Lots of churches, including mine, have endured painful schisms. Some haven't survived and were closed. Our Bishop has not had an easy time of things and has had to steady a boat that has been rocked side to side several times. But boat rocking is part of the Episcopal/Anglican experience. How green you get depends on your ability to weather such storms.

I was in the room on All Saint's Sunday, 2008, when Bishop Howard was asked about our Presiding Bishop, who had apparently made a stealth visit to St. Augustine to bless a church parking garage. The people of St. John's Tallahassee were wondering if she might come back. The Bishop, before answering the question, informed all of us that he had not voted for her consecration as the Presiding Bishop. ++Jefferts Schori is in good company: Bishop Howard didn't support +Gene Robinson or +Mary Glasspool either. So, it really is news that not only has she come back to our diocese; she's coming for our 168th Diocesan Convention!!

I'm going for the opening Eucharist. I'm not a delegate to the Convention, so I had to wait for the email from the Diocesan office announcing the availability of tickets to St. John's cathedral. I saw, I contacted the diocese, I received word that I am "on the list." Now I have to pick up my ticket at the Jacksonville Marriot.

3 comments:

Kay & Sarah said...

Congratulation for getting a ticket. We were at our New Bishop's Consecration in Savannah and heard her speak. She wore such amazing Colorful garments and as it happened we were in the section to receive Sacraments from her during Communion.

Anonymous said...

Good luck and I hope you get the ticket and can hear her. She is so remarkable and when she speaks you think she is talking directly to you.
Hope it is a big success for you. Let me know how it comes out.

Peggins

SCG said...

Two Auntees: I missed out on receiving from her. I was on the right side of the cathedral, but hit the wrong split at the altar rail. :( How exciting that you got to hear her speak, too!

Anonymous Peggins: her sermon felt *very* familiar. Please see follow-up post!