Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Same Ol' Homophobia

I was thinking yesterday how I have been reluctant to post anything in advance, or during, the trial in California where Proposition H8 is in federal court. There's been much hoopla about David Boeis and Ted Olson working together to fight for the rights of LGBT people in California to have the right to marry. There's the obvious observation that, politically-speaking, these two are "The Odd Couple". Boies was the lawyer for Al Gore and Olson the lawyer for Dumb Dumb in the now infamous Bush v. Gore case in the United States Supreme Court in 2000.

I've been staying out of this one, I think, because I am genuinely tired of the wrangling over these CIVIL rights to marry. I believe this is a no-brainer, but I'm afraid it's the ones that have no brains who have been allowed to take this issue to the ballot box. And sadly, nobody has figured out yet that putting a minority group's civil rights up for a vote will always result in the majority taking those rights away. Or maybe they have figured that out, and that's the point.

I looked over the Proposition 8 tracker, and was not surprised to see that all the same arguments are being made for the upteenth billionth time. But what I do understand, and do find moving, is the idea that as much as it pains me personally to think about the absurdities and the injustice of Proposition 8, this is another marker in the timeline of LGBT history. And there have been many such markers throughout time. And, like those ancestors who fled Egypt and had soldiers chasing them and the Sea of Reeds in front of them, when in this moment of being between a rock and a hard place... as Fr. Lee Graham has said... you just have to go forward.

Of course, the Israelites had Moses leading them... and this is one of those annoying whines from the LGBT community that "We need a leader." The truth is, we have leaders because each one of us who dares to fully live into the fullness of our humanity... which I believe is God-given... are functioning as a leader. Those of us who put our trust and faith in God (or Goddess or Great Spirit) need to lean into that power to keep us going. And then we have to believe. Know that we are as much a part of 'the plan' as that fool who would say that we're 'of the Devil'. I don't need to listen to the fools.

God knows me. God loves me. God's just waiting for the state to catch up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen my dear, very well said.

Peggins